Building Permits & Inspections

The Building, Grounds, Parks, Zoning, and Planning Committee will help verify compliance with zoning and setbacks. They will then present the permit to the Village Board for approval.  

If you are looking to build, replace, or add on to your home or garage, or add or replace a shed or fence to your property you need to complete the Building Permit below.  Permits for swimming pools and the required fence can be found on the Swimming Pool Permit link.  The Village of Forrreston Zoning Code is available online to help answer questions about building and zoning issues. To find it, please click on the Government tab above.  Under the Government tab, you will see a heading for Code Compliance.  The Zoning Code is the last item under this heading.

Village Board meetings are the first and third Mondays of the the month.  All permits should be turned into Village Hall the Wednesday prior to the meeting to be reviewed

For Commercial Permits, please contact Village Hall.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Do I need a permit for a fence?

Yes, you must submit a Building Permit for a fence.  Please read and complete both sides of the  BUILDING PERMIT and submit it to Village Hall.  Fence permits cost $50 and must be approved by the Village Board of Trustees before construction begins.

Do I need a permit for a shed?

Yes, even temporary structures require a Building Permit.  Please complete both pages of the BUILDING PERMIT and return it to Village Hall.  Building fees for sheds are calculated by the square footage of the shed.